Monday, December 10, 2012

A Naturalistic Me

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and I'm beginning to act like a quasi-hippy. That actually may not be the best way to describe it. Nonetheless, I am calling it that until I come up with a more suitable term. To help me define it better, it may help to describe the symptoms.
A few weeks back I started looking into hair care, to make my hair less frizzy and more... pretty. I found several qualified options to attempt to utilize, but I didn't stop looking. I actually started so much as changing my own personal hygiene rituals, as well as the products I was using. I can't say I'm super satisfied with the products, but people say it takes a few weeks for your hair to come to terms with the change, so I'm not giving up. I am, however, still finding ways to make the process a bit less expensive. It makes no sense that something with less in it should cost more. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I progressed from "healthier" products to buy, to at home remedies I could manufacture myself with things I might already have. I've settled at things I can make with simple ingredients from around my house... mostly the kitchen. At some point along the way, my search also spread from just hair care to face and skin care. I've even gone as far as making small purchases so that I may actually concoct some of this remedies. As I gather information and (apparently) momentum for these projects, I've been incorporating what I've concocted into my daily routine. I've even started contemplating in advance what I will do and when, so that I can incorporate my new "all natural" "products" and start ruling out the now, less desirable items. For instance; I ran out of shampoo and conditioner, purchased Sulfate free stuff. I ran out of face wash and mixed up and incorporated the Oil Cleanse. I've got all of the ingredients for body wash now, and when what I have runs out, I'll brew it up and replace what I no longer need.
There are a few things though that I don't think I'll ever truly replace. For instance; I don't think I'll replace toothpaste all together. Though I may choose to do a baking soda cleaning on a regular basis. And I'll probably still use the little amounts of makeup that I do use now, as well as continuing to paint my nails. I can't get rid of all of my toxins... That'd be downright un-American. But where I'll probably end up drawing the line is at feminine care products. Yeah. Anyways...
After I've come up with a satisfactory body wash, I'm considering home-made deodorants  I'm also looking at simply going the no-'poo route and implementing a dry shampoo into my routine along with an at home conditioner. We'll see. Though I may jump on the defrizzifying train first. Who knew I'd jump on the all natural train?! Actually I figured it might happen sooner than later. I've never wanted to douse myself in manufactured products and all natural/organic items intrigue me. Hopefully I'll be able to figure this all out sooner rather than later, so that it's all manageable and natural by my wedding.
(We seriously need to move sooner rather than later too, so that I can have my own kitchen and act on having a healthy diet as well.)