Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bouquet Alternatives?

Ever had an issue, that you didn't know was an issue, until you started talking about it? I was talking to my dad the other day, mostly just rambling on about this, that, and the other, and I told him I'd asked my BFF's mom to help me make paper flowers. Actually; she volunteered for the job. Any job. That's what I needed done, so I sent her all the information I had, pictures of the ones I had made and didn't hate and our colors. I also told my dad that I had her stop. Of course he had to go and ask me why. So I had to reflect. Originally I had her stop because I was upset at life, and circumstances didn't let me believe that we were even going to be able to have the wedding I've been planning. I'm mostly over that now. If the crisis has been averted, why can't she start again? Well... I'm not sure what the flowers would be for. Decorations was my plan for them, and bouquets. But I don't think I want a bouquet. It seems completely useless to me. Why do I need a bouquet? My dad was kind enough to google it for me and found that way back, I think he said as early as the 1500's (don't quote me on that), brides would carry flowers for luck. They would toss the bouquets to pass the luck onto their guests. There were also the results he found about annual baths being in May, so couples would get married in June and as a precaution, would carry flowers and herbs to mask the smell. He read off several different search results and the consensus is that bouquets carried by brides are for either luck or smell. Since I bathe on the regular, and I don't believe in luck; I still don't want to carry a bouquet. Then my dad's friend wrote to me and said something along the lines of it being something to hold in your hands as you walk down the aisle. I must say; I totally see her point. But I still don't like the idea of a traditional bouquet. Not that paper flowers are traditional at all. I wish there was something else I could do with my hands. Or there was something else to carry. Something more practical.